Poisoning in Dogs

If you think your dog has been poisoned don't delay - seek emergency treatment right away. Here, our Simi Valley vets explain which common items around your house are toxic to dogs and what symptoms could indicate your pup has been poisoned. 

What should I do if I think my dog has been poisoned?

Stay calm and make sure the source of the poison is out of your dog’s reach. Then get your dog to the vet as soon as possible. At Park Animal Hospital we handle emergency cases during our regular clinic hours. Contact us or your nearest emergency veterinary hospital right away. 

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

The following symptoms may indicate that your dog has been poisoned:

  • Agitation
  • Tremors
  • Convulsions
  • Nausea and/or vomiting
  • Seizures
  • Heart problems
  • Diarrhea
  • Kidney failure
  • Excessive bruising or bleeding
  • Nosebleeds
  • Unsteady on feet
  • Abnormal heartbeat
  • Drooling
  • Oral irritation
  • Pale gums
  • Inability to urinate

What substances are poisonous to dogs?

Most of the poisoning cases our Simi Valley vets see are the result of dogs getting into common household products that are toxic for dogs. Certain foods, medications, and household cleaning products that are safe for humans can be extremely toxic to dogs.

The following substances are the most common dog poisons we see at Park Animal Hospital:

Medications

Over-the-counter medications like Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil, or Aleve, as well as herbal products and supplements, can be poisonous to dogs. Prescription medications that are beneficial to humans can also be highly poisonous when ingested by dogs.

People Food

Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods, such as chocolate, onions, and grapes, are perfectly safe for people but dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.

Veterinary Products

Medications like painkillers, de-wormers, and flea/tick treatments can be poisonous to dogs if consumed or used incorrectly.

Household Products

Household cleaning products are a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Chemicals in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison.

Rodenticides & Insecticides

Rat poison and insecticides can be as dangerous for your dog as the creatures they are intended for.

Plants

Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include azaleas, rhododendrons, tulips, daffodils, and sago palms. 

Lawn & Garden Products

Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them.

If you think your dog has been poisoned it is crucial that you seek professional care. If possible, call the emergency veterinary hospital to let them know you are on your way. Do not try to treat poisoning at home unless under the explicit directions of a veterinarian. 

Note: The advice provided in this post is intended for informational purposes and does not constitute medical advice regarding pets. For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, please make an appointment with your vet.

Has your dog ingested a poisonous substance? Don't delay. Safely bring them to our Simi Valley hospital during our regular clinic hours or visit the nearest after-hours hospital.